Saturday, April 23, 2016

Afrikaans teenage poetry anthology

Hi Everyone
I was recently tasked with illustrating a poetry anthology for teenagers - a job which I found quite demanding. After the text has been set on the page, there is often very little space on the page left to do illustration. The challenge is also not to be too literal about the content - so in some cases a texture or visual mood would suffice. But that is not my natural inclination. I lean towards a figurative and conceptual approach, stylized with bold linework. And lastly, being a mother of small children, I find it really hard to relate to the teenagish content. The gap between wiping bottoms and dealing with identity issues is quite big at the moment...But hey, it was a great challenge and I am happy with the result. Below are some pics

No comments:

Post a Comment